Oral historians (anyone engaging with oral history) are encouraged to apply for these biennial awards presented by the International Oral History Association (IOHA). The awards are open to oral historians working in any field, across community, academia, media or professions. The award winners will have been responsible for oral history productions that are innovative, excellent and inspirational. Two awards are available:
International Oral History Association Book Award 2020
International Oral History Association Media Award 2020 (available to an oral history production in any medium other than a book)
Eligibility: To be eligible, the oral history production must have been ‘published’ in the calendar years 2017, 2018 and up until 31 December 2019. Applicants must be members of the IOHA.
The two award winners will each receive a scholarship to attend the 2020 conference, and all shortlisted applicants will also be posted on the IOHA website. The judging panel may award a joint prize and/or Commendations for Excellence to outstanding runners-up. Winners will be announced at the IOHA conference in Singapore, 22 – 26 June 2020.
How to Apply: Applicants must email an application as a Word document or pdf attachment, to each of the judges listed below, to reach them by the closing date, 31 January 2020.
Your application must include:
- Applicant/s name (individual/s and organisational affiliation, if applicable).
- You must specify which of the two awards you are applying for: IOHA Book Award or IOHA Media Award.
- Book or media production details, including author/producers, title, format, date of production and web address (as appropriate).
- Applicant/s contact address, phone number, email and (where available) web address.
- In no more than 500 words, a description of the production and an explanation of why it is deserving of an award for innovation, excellence and inspiration in oral history.
- If the production has a material presence (e.g. book, audio or video recording, or some other format that can be provided to the judges), then one copy must be posted to each of the judges at the following addresses: